Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Conversations #29: Alexander Payne


In our latest installment of The Conversations, Jason Bellamy and I discuss the films of Alexander Payne, from his debut Citizen Ruth to his acclaimed, recently released The Descendants. We talk about Payne's satirical targets, his balance of comedy and drama, and the performances in his work. And of course we focus on what seems to be the big critical question regarding Payne: the debate over whether or not he's condescending towards the types of characters who frequently appear in his films.

Join us at The House Next Door for the full conversation, and be sure to leave a comment with your own thoughts.

Continue reading at The House Next Door

2 comments:

Pathikrit said...

Hello ! I am reading your blog for about 2 years now and I must say it is the most comprehensive blog on cinema I have ever come across. But, it is surprising to see that there is not a single post or review of films from the largest film industry in the world - India.

India continues to produce, as it had in the past, a substantial amount of good cinema across all genres in Hindi and Bengali languages (especially in Bengali) which are shown in all the major film festivals across the world.

I request you to consider reviewing and discussing Indian films to make the blog all pervasive.

Thanks and regards,

Pathikrit

Ed Howard said...

Thanks for the comment, Pathikrit. I have to admit that Indian film is a huge blind spot for me, and one that I'd definitely like to correct. Other than Satyajit Ray, I'm not even sure where to start - any recommendations?